Thursday, January 18, 2007

You Won't Like Me When I'm Cross

To say I was nervous walking up to college would be an understatement. The first concern was to hopefully pass into the second semester and the other was to have passed the Picture This assignment.

The lecture began with a “Without knowing your grades what are your thoughts / feelings of the first semester. I gave the answer “Nervous about getting in to the second semester” and was instantly set at ease when Steve said that I wouldn’t be sat there if I hadn’t made it.

Next was the grades, these weren’t revealed until after break but again I was set at ease when I found I had passed both assignments. To have passed Picture This was good as I had never really used Photoshop to create anything let alone restore an image.

After finding out our results we were given the next assignment, to create the website designed in the A3 Web Plan, and it was a relief to find that the only written work would be the evaluation. So the rest of the day involved 'playing' with Dreamweaver.

I honestly don't know a lot about type faces, next assignment is all about type, so I was pleased to have a presentation on fonts and there 'bits' e.g a cross bar connects the two stems of the letter H. However I never reaised there were so many terms for a letter! Ranging from a cross, the line that cuts a'cross' the f, to terms about the way the font is displayed with ascenders and descenders, baselines and x-height lines.

The next big surprise awaiting us was in the form of the assignment A6 - Return to Type which not only involves a presentation, "panic alarm bells ringing" but there is also a timed assignment.

Personally wanting to achieve a Merit now for an assignment thought that these two assignments would be easy for timeplanning but the final bombshell blew that idea out of the water in seconds. The last part involves a randomly dropped assignment task at any given time to be completed for any given time, so I'm sad to say the nerves are back again.

4 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

Embrace the challenge of the presentation Chris... they're lovely really.

But in all seriousness, this time around we've got a lot of time to practice so we should be fine.

Ben Waller said...

I think getting the first presentation out of the way was a big step. I feel much more relaxed about it now that we have experienced it with the colour presentations. Being able to practice in the room will also be a big advantage this time around.

Scott Dunwoodie said...

I think for the timed assignments you should have carried out some research into "Type" layout, presentation etc. prior to each Thursday.

This is where the "Sketchbook" could prove invaluable if it is jammed full of inspirational ideas, you should have no problems!

Chris Towell said...

Good advice but I still don't like Presentations like. At least I don't have to do it in French though like my poor girlfriend. Makes me feel a little better.