Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Fastball Special

Creating a User Testing Form is a lot harder than it looks. My first problem was finding the right questions to put on them as when I first started creating it my questions sounded 'childish'. Having researched this on the Internet I found a good website to help think of questions so armed with a better User Testing Form I went to college on Wednesday with the hopes of getting good feedback.

After the initial testing phase had finished we went back to our machines to see the stacks of feedback. I was surprised to see only a few people found problems, the major one being that some pages did not link up properly. An easy task to rectify and I have to admit I had to laugh at some of the silly mistakes like putting a Term on 2 separate pages.

So Wednesday afternoon consisted of website adaptation to which I have hopefully finished. The last part that needs to be completed is the feedback form could do to Post somewhere and the 'word' PHP was mentioned. I am wanting to have a dabble in PHP but I'm sure that if there is a Post section there may need to be a 'Get and Display Comments' section.

Thursday started of the normal tension it has managed to sustain, with the imminent dropping of a task. This time we were issued two short tasks rapidly one after another. The first task threw me a bit as it was to complete a grid for an article. Thinking to my self I thought 'How do you create a grid if you do not know where things are going?'

After completing this immediately after we were issued with the second, or part 2. This was the content and this was about the Jazz Star Don Weller. We had to think of a header and a few of my peers went for a humourous one. I on the other hand went for "Don is the Jazz Man".

Finishing off the day by carrying on with the typography presentation.

I am happy to say I am well on course to completing these units on time just as long as there are no more Fastballs.

6 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

No more fastballs?!

They're the most fun part!

Scott Dunwoodie said...

I agree with Craig the immediacy of the "fastballs" (as you call them) are really enjoyable, once you have completed them in the given time!

No break Thursday is beginning to become a bit of a habit!

Julian Dyer said...

Any chance of seeing you All That Jazz article Chris? I'm really enjoying these tasks, gives the day a lot of focus, and I get to use InDesign, which is a fantastic program.

Marc Pugh said...

At first I wasn't too keen on them but I am looking forward to more of these time tasks. They really help with time planning skills and will help us get ready for real life work. Towards the end I feel that my work improved vastly. I can still remember the practice one Steve gave us at the beginning. I failed that one horribly! Good job it was only a practice!

I would also like to see your designs too, any chance that you can post it up? it mite be nice to see some other members work as well.

J.Milsom said...

I agree, I actually enjoy them. Bieng able to work under that pressure can only benefit us surely can't it!? It's so suprising how mnay differant designs are produced all using the same content, etc.

I should have my work up soon, marc if you'd like to take a look. ive unfortunatly miss placed my flash drive at the moment though, but when I regain my memory I'll get them up

Chris Towell said...

I didn't mean to start this offI mean I dolike the odd 'Fastball' now and again but no break thursday is becoming a hot favourite.