Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Trexi!

Culture Vulture
This assignment has been by far the hardest assignment I have ever done. The 'Reverse Design' process did seem a little daunting and all through the assignment I was wondering what the product was. With the previous two year's being the Coke Bottle, I was hoping that we did not get this as I thought it might be too easy. Going through my designs now though I do not think I have a design that would suit it.

The two product choices were a bit cryptic as I guess they were supposed to be in order to hide it. I originally chose number 2 which seemed the easiest choice, but in the end I chose 1, "A niche product, Child's play? no way! Urban Vinyl", as I thought what if it is the Coke Bottle? I guess I would have chosen quicker had I have 'googled' it.

It was quite a nervous situation last Wednesday morning having turned up to the room early only to be turned away by Steve. At 9 o'clock we all got ushered in and then those who picked number two had to leave for half an hour. Thankfully though it was only to show us our product.

I am happy with the product choice which happens to be a collectible item known as a Trexi. I am quite a collector of things and have already purchased my first Trexi which is the Godzilla/Dinosaur design. I think the week before receiving this 'product' I was beginning to get tired of the constant creative work. As soon as I saw the product I think I got a new burst of enthusiasm. This week has been the 'apply it to the product week' and I have found Freehand to be an amazing tool, making the 'difficult' bits look easy. Saying that I still have to do the fish on the front of my design and make sure it looks right in the perspective.

I decided to do the skeletal design for the website last week as then it is just a case of dragging and dropping an image into place. I kind of knew which idea was going to be created so I wrote the content to suit it and having looked at the Freehand design I can clearly see it is the best of the 3.

It is a bit scary having an assignment hand in date close to 7 days away as there is still a bit of work to be done but hopefully this time next week it will be over!

Things that need doing for this assignment
  • Draw the Fish – all will become apparent soon...
  • Finish the Collector Card – Should finish before 5 tonight
  • Finish the 'Mini Site' – Just a case of finishing the design off
  • Evaluate! – Evaluate assignment
One thing I would like to add is that I would prefer to have 2 weeks creative and 3 weeks build as there is a lot to do in the build exercise. Saying that I have managed to nearly complete the design in a day so I am not doing too bad.

On the Job!
I will be glad to finish this assignment as I feel it may have drawn out a little bit too much. I have enjoyed it though and it is something to add to my Portfolio. I think it has turned out a lot better than I had originally expected.

I think the assignment has gone well though as everything has been finished or is near finish. The assignment has been managed effectively by Scott and there are lots of things that I may have missed had I been the Project Manager. Tomorrow is the client sign of date and feedback and we also need to give a copy of the website to Dean and tell him what needs adjusting and what needs updating.

The only thing that should need sorting out is the folder which can be done tomorrow hopefully by the end of tomorrow the team assignment will be done and dusted so I can concentrate on the Culture Vulture assignment.

I have enjoyed this Semester and am looking forward to finally being 'forced' to use Flash. It is scary that in 6 months time this course will be over and I will be looking for a job in the industry but in a way I am looking forward to doing this as I am happy designing and it was I've wanted to do for ages.

4 comments:

Ben Waller said...

I think that the build process would have been easier if we would have done 2 weeks creative time and 3 weeks build time too.

This can work both ways though because if we had less creative time we would not have created as many designs so our end product may not have been as good.

I think every situation is different. Sometimes you may be able to create a set of diverse designs in a short space of time whilst other times it could take much longer.

Chris Towell said...

It is hard to judge something like this, you could think there's too much design time but if we had have changed it we might be saying we didn't have enough design time.

I know what you mean about maybe not creating enough designs. Saying that I wouldn't mind seeing if I could 'buy' an extra week from Amazon for this 45-degree shot.

I am glad I'm doing this product though instead of the Coke Bottle, it does look a lot easier and I would have probably cried had I have chosen the Coke bottle.

(Cue Craig A comment...)

Mirhad Kalabic said...

I too couldn't help but constantly think to myself what the product will be and this was reflected in some of my designs. At some point i even thought it would actually be a bottle, not actually knowing that it would and I drew a few designs on bottles. The fact that Steve asked us to design on some manekens also somewhat put thoughts into my head.... It's natural I guess, you can't help but think about what it will be...

Chris Towell said...

To be honest I think the Mannequin design task didn't even register what the product would be. I just saw it as a pattern exercise however, looking back I...

I am glad I picked the Trexi Design even if the 45 Degree aspect is being a nightmare!!