Thursday, November 30, 2006

'The Clone Saga'

Finally the part of the Assignment I'vae been looking forward to and I have to say I was petrified to see it. We are to take an old photograph and restore it to it's original colour state. Having never really used Photoshop I felt overwhelmed by the amount of work that I thought had to be done. For the best part of Thursdays morning lecture I was a bit unsure on what to do and where to start.

After dinner time, and a bit of coaching from Steve, I felt that I had a better insight on what to do and looking back at the original I feel I have made some progress. I think the main reason why I started to panic was because I was unsure about how I would tackle the task. After a lot of 'Cloning' a bit of 'Spot Healing' and 'Patching'. I feel I am quite happy with what I have managed to achieve at this point but there is still a lot to do.

Going back to Wednesday I feel I got a lot done, content and thumbnail wise. I originally opted for a simple website design with a left hand navigation and whilst browsing the Internet for terms I came across this website.

http://www.gpeters.com/color/color-schemes.php?search_term=computers

This site extracts colour from a related image search and creates customised colour schemes. I had decided to focus on a more blue / silver / grey colour scheme, although a cold colour scheme I feel it also has a technological feel. Another design I was leaning towards was a cartoony / comic feel to the website but after discussing it in the feedback meeting it seemed to be aimed at users a bit too young. I'm not going to totally dismiss the idea and I might develop it a little more in my sketch book.

Self study now will consist of completing a primary draft version of the restored photo so expect to see it on the Blog next week.

5 comments:

James said...

Good website that you mention in the blog Chris, although some terms bring up strange schemes. Cars for example brings up grey and powdered blue for some reason.

I think your comments on the blue colour scheme made me think. Colour on this project is going to be a lot more important than last time. Having a cold blue technology feel may intimidate inexperienced users whereas your cartoony style may put expert users off.

It's going to be a bit more tricky than I thought.

Craig Burgess said...

Yeah, the colour scheme is what I'm struggling with too. I've never been too good at picking either.

I originally went for a blue colour scheme too, but after discussing it in the feedback meeting I also got told this may be too cold.

Warm, welcoming colours were mentioned.

Julian Dyer said...

There are two sides to a lot of colour schemes, Craig. Some say that blue signifies trust, and being genuine, while you can also argue that it is cold and unforgiving. As long as you can justify why you have chosen it, I think that you can still create a pleasant looking site.

I’ve certainly never though “I really don’t like that blue website, it makes me feel cold – I’m leaving”. Try and get a balance between saturated and unsaturated colours and I think it will be OK.

Dean said...

Regarding your colour scheme.

In my experience I have found that whatever you do in life you can't please everybody all of the time.

The alternative is to please the majority most of the time.

Your main target audience will determine your colour scheme. Just look at your competetive analysis with fresh eyes and it will hit you.

Chris Towell said...

Thanks for the comments James, Craig and Dean. I came across that website by accident it says it takes the colours from image searches so thats probably why powdered blue came up for cars.