Thursday, March 22, 2007

Going at it with all Guns Blazing


After receiving passes for the other assignments I have been putting more effort into the initial sketchbook 'Ideas Generation' and have to say I think I have got some good ideas. The next task is to dwindle them down 4 for next weeks lesson where we will be showing them to the group. I need to develop a colour scheme for this logo and decide what fonts will be used and how.

I have to say I have a bit of work to do before Wednesday and am a bit nervous about finding out what other people think of my ideas but I guess this is a pretty standard thing in this industry so it is a case of 'Get over it' or 'Get out'. I hope to think that I am in the first group and am looking forward to the display session.

I think that I have gone with a relatively easy concept and one that is probably a bit obvious but this is my first ever logo that I have created. Having only just had the ratio click in my head of 2:1 or 1:1 I think the designs I have created have 'accidentally' been made to fit the ratio.

I do hope to have the logo finished for the end of next week so I can start the screen designs for the website/online style guide. I want to go for a landscape website this time as the previous 2 designed wer e portrait and had to be scrolled.

Sketchbook. Now this hasn't been neglected so to speak just a bit underestimated into what actually needed to be done. With the assignment sheet firmly in hand I will need to thoroughly look through to make sure the criteria is met. I can say that some is met so it is not going to be a complete over-haul but there are sections that lack somewhat and could be changed.

The feedback meeting, however quiet it was, has really opened my eyes to what is required for us to pass the year and the even startling news that 'Passes just aren't good enough'. Deep down I knew this was true and hopefully this will be a turning point for me. There is a difference between saying and doing but im not someone who applied for the course just for the sake of it. I want a career out of this job and I know I can do better.

3 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

I'm looking forward to the Crit session next week, and I'm glad we're doing it really. It's a good way to get mass feedback instantly, and all I hope is that people are honest and have lots to say.

Hopefully we'll be doing a bit more of this kind of thing in Year 2.

Ben Waller said...

Yes I am looing forward to getting some good feedback on my ideas too, I have tried to keep them relatively simple as well because I think that they look more effective that way and there is no way I would be able to create complex designs in Freehand at this stage!

Chris Towell said...

@Craig: It should be fun the Crit session as well as being productive like you said lots of feedback.

@Ben: I tried to keep my ideas as simple as possible as well. Freehand is however a really easy software package to use i'll start panicking when Illustrator is used...