Thursday, March 15, 2007

Rebranding my Secret Identity

The week started with a visit from another ex-student from the course but from a different area of the design spectrum. Working for Real Radio, Marc Bowers, came to give us an insight into his work and daily life. He is charged with the creation of the online publications on the Real Radio website. From the past two visits it seems that the sketch book will eventually be lost to memory at the end of this course, the opposite which I expected to happen. Having had a visit from a design studio worker and a designer for a sole company I think I would rather work in the design company, although I would also like to see my project from start to finish as you would working for a single client.

I think I have received the best assignment, if not the largest, of this year. The assignment is split into 4 tasks and looks set to be a heavy design one. To start with I was a bit at a loss as to what a Corporate Identity actually entailed but after the heavy lecturing I now know. So for this assignment I need to design from scratch a logo for a company. Having done this I need to show exactly how it will be used in every way thought possibly (well maybe not every way) including letterheads and business cards and present it in the form of an online style guide.

That done I need to re-release a selected CD from a Artist and music Genre I literally haven't heard of. Chosen from the list was a CD called 'In Starless Space' by 'David Reeves'. The idea behind this is so that we can start to develop ideas without listening to it and as it won't be our cup of tea it is a good example into a scenario where you have to create something you'd rather not... Still this does not mean that i'm not looking forward to the whole designing of the CD parts.

Another new process would be the Pre-flight document, which sadly does not involve a lavish holiday away on a plane. (Far from it...) This is the document that goes of to a printer specifying every little detail about the CD Label, Book and Inlay.

AND to finish we need to evaluate the whole process from start to finish...

It also looks like there will not be much holidaying for a while according to my time planning overall sheet. Most of the holiday is dedicated to the website style guide, but I guess you can't design everything that you'd 'want' to design.

5 comments:

Craig Allington said...

My attitude to time planning for this assignment is to perhaps try and do above my 16 hours a week self study, and try and get ahead of my work in time for the holidays.

With the sheer amount of work we have been given for this assignment, I think the holidays will be a much welcomed break. 10 weeks of solid work will be our longest yet if not.

Chris Towell said...

Yeah I know what you mean I think I may end up doing more, or it feels like you'll need to do more to get the assignment finished.

Craig Burgess said...

I'd hate to treat the holidays as a break away from the assignment, because I'd feel like I'd lost touch with what I was meant to be doing if I didn't do it for three weeks.

Plus, I don't think I'll have the time to be laid back, I want to get a really good start and continue it through the holidays which is why I've set myself quite tight deadlines for completing things.

Dean said...

I'm looking forward to the Time planning talk from John on Wednesday. I still fear I am not filling out my sheets correctly.

Chris Towell said...

@Craig - I definitely want to do better and am gonna work continuously through the holidays although becoming unemployed hasn't helped matters.

@Dean - I too fear my time planning lacks usage... Johns lecture should be very helpful.