Thursday, March 08, 2007

It's Not Just About Wearing the Costume

Revert to Type.
An assignment about Typography isn't really as exciting as one called 'Grandmaster Flash' but having completed it the unit wasn't that bad at all. I have learnt that Presentations are not something to be feared and on the day of the presentation felt good for completing it. This gave me the opportunity to research into someone I had no knowledge of. The name did not mean anything apart from that there was a font called Garamond on my laptop at home. I believe that my standard of presentation creation and delivering has got a lot better, although you wouldn't think it looking at my dry run. Not only that my knowledge of Pagemaker has increased, not the best DTP software but it does what it says it does.

The task bombs were a new, and in the beginning, slightly daunting. To have a task given to you on an 'as and when' situation made me a bit worried but after completing a few they didn't seem that bad. In fact they are a perfect way to get us adjusted for the world of work which is something Steve is trying to achieve. I have to say I am grateful for the experience of working in such a tense environment and it has made me think that this is definitely the area of work for me.

Jonathan Gee
This is the first task and it involved creating an article and displaying it on an A4 page. Content and images was supplied and we had to set it out and solve the typographical solution. I think as this was my first it wasn't necessarily my best but I think that I did my best on it.

Hokai
This let me be a bit more creative as I was to create a label for a paint tube. I felt that this was the best task that I had done but what was submitted wasn't entirely the design I was going for although the text would have bled into the background colour.

Vodaphone
This task tought us all about newspaper design and all the terminology. This broadened the mind into designing for a specific size and getting value for money as we had about '£4800' to spend on the creation of the advertisement. A fact we found out from receiving the content is that if there are mistakes (not that there were any) we weren't allowed to change them as it is the content received.

Grid and Story
Another newspaper assignment this time on the Jazz musician Don Weller. The content was again supplied and the images we already had. I liked this task as it was split into two parts. The first was designing the grid for the layout of the page and the second was laying out the story. I did feel that I could have done better with this assignment.

The final task
This was more of a test than a task as it required me to remember everything tought in the unit. I felt that I could have done a lot more rough work and remembered a few more terms. I do think that the layout I went for was okay though and I took into consideration some of the typographical features when creating it. I do think I could have remembered more terms.

Overall I think I need to do more roughwork and develop my ideas further. I did eventually come to enjoy this unit as it progressed and even enjoyed the final presentation. I now feel I can use typography better than I did in previous assignments and understand how to use some of the typographical features.

No comments: