Thursday, October 04, 2007

Honesty builds good character

I enjoyed writing the previous post answering the interview questions. It was good practice and I think that I answered them professionally and honestly. I struggled a bit on the why do you want the job? not because I didn't know what to write but because I didn't know how to word it. I don't think im the best interviewee and sometimes leave them thinking "that could have gone better" but at the end of the day I guess it is just experience and we learn from mistakes.

I found it hard to add a weakness as I thought there were a few I could have put but didn't kow if it put me in a bad light so to speak, but I guess it shows honesty and this is something an employer would definitely want from an employee. If I had to change it I would probably say my presentation skills as they can definitely be developed for our upcoming assignment.

I wasn't surprised by the who is your hero as it is a random question which was meant to throw us, but I think another reason why it is asked is again to give insight into the character and their influences.

There has been the discussion is it okay to lie in an interview part of me says yes but part of me also thinks that the interviewer wants to hear the truth i.e. the real you; as that is the person they are employing + im a crap liar! and chances are something wouldn't add up in the future.

7 comments:

Ben Waller said...

Hi Chris, I think the Hero/Heroin question was to gain more of an insight into the character of the intervewee too. When Dave visited from the Design Mechanics he stated that personality and ability to fit in is a key factor on whether or not he offers people a position. I would expect several questions such like this when we eventually start to apply for jobs.

Craig Allington said...

I agree with your comments regarding experience of interviews, it is much like giving a presentation, apart from the subject is about yourself and as we all know with presentations practice really does make perfect.

Chris Towell said...

I agree with you Ben if I was ever in the position of employing someone they would have to have some character because you wouldn't want some one who 'sits in a corner' and 'keeps themselves to themselves'. I don't think that would make a good working environment.

DREW said...

Hi Chris, I think you are right about the hero giving insight into your character. I think it is good to show your influences and I would imagine this is what your employer would want to know it for.

I think that telling a few white lies in an interview is ok, as long as its not a complete lie otherwise you may find yourself in trouble later if you can't meet their requirements.

Chris Towell said...

Thats why I try to be as honest as possible because I know that something will go incredibly wrong and I'd be out of a good job. Although a one or two white lies couldn't hurt.

Scott Dunwoodie said...

I think a certain embellishment of the truth is acceptable during an interview.

You only have a certain amount of time to make an impression on the interviewer.

If you make things (job/life etc.) sound more interesting it could have a positive effect on how you will be remembered after the event.

Chris Towell said...

@Scott - Embellishment? I like it but yeah you do need to make yourself appear interesting but surely your personality should speak for yourself without lying.