Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Evaluation of Year 2 so far...

This first semester back has, like all the rest, flown by. So far I don't feel any difference between this year and last except in the team assignment where we have more control over what we do for when. The two assignments given so far have been A9 Box Clever and A11 On the Job.

Box Clever
I enjoyed doing the CSS Box Clever assignment but still got all the "Will I pass nerves?". I enjoyed creating the CSS Beauty page as it really showed me what CSS is capable of. I managed to turn a very dull looking print page into an interesting CSS Styled page. I found it quite interesting looking into the impacts of CSS and what its benefits are. Starting this assignment I had some degree of knowledge of CSS, (I thought more) but learning how to code CSS cleanly was an interesting experience and using the proper code was useful.

On The Job
I am enjoying this assignment as I get to create an online multimedia project for a client in a team. As the developer I am now coding the website and am finding it relatively easy using CSS. This assignment was a little slow in starting as the client was a bit hard to get hold of but now we are really beginning to get moving. I liked the idea if having to pitch for the client with a presentation as this is a procedure that will more than likely be soemthing that happens in the design world.

I have found it a bit hard though especially with trying to give the client what he wants and trying to figure out the solution so it is also easy to implement. I think the hardest battle so far was with the CMS which I couldn't get to work.

Out of the 3 available team roles I am happy being the developer and am looking forward to doing the user testing as I would like to see what people think of what we as a team have created.

iMe
I think having a blog topic every week helps is focus on writing the online learning journal. I have enjoyed writing the entries except the one that we had to keep below 100 words. That was hard because I wanted to add extra words here and there but it wasn't allowed. So far I really enjoyed the Job orientated questions as they made you think on your feet. I was interesting reading the answers as well especially the post starting with the "Describe yourself in 3 words?" I completeley see the point of these questions as I see it as character building for the interviewer. I also like some of the more random questions like who is your hero?. I did originally find this hard as I was trying to think of someone from the design industry, and although loosely, mine sort of is connected. Which I didn't see at the time as I just put my hero down as a personal hero.

Looking forward I am looking forward to the Culture Vulture and am currently researching into my Design Icon, the Nintendo Gameboy. It is interesting seeing how much difference the name Nintendo made to the success of the Gameboy as many have tried similar techniques before the Gamboy and failed.

12 comments:

Richard said...

I too am looking forward to user testing. It will be good to get an impartial view on what we have created, and iron out all the kinks In our designs.

I think you have picked a good icon in the Nintendo Gameboy because it is clear to see how it has evolved and spread into other areas. I too am looking forward to the next assignment and I think the trip to the sculpture park should give us a great start in our culture vulture assignment.

Craig Burgess said...

I think we're all agreed that this Culture Vulture assignment will be very different from anything we've ever done before.

I think I'm going to find it difficult at first to "let go" and just draw anything. I've never been much of an arty person, so this should be an interesting activity for me.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what other people come up with as well. It's an ideal opportunity to what other people think like, similar to looking at somebody's MP3 player: it's very revealing.

Chris Towell said...

@Richard - I was stuck looking for a Icon and the Nintendo Gameboy seemed to pop out of nowhere. It is amazing how the name Nintendo has helped the success of this handheld games console.

For example did you know that a similar portable console used the Stylus (pen) 5-6 years before the DS but never really took off. It was called the GameCom and it supported colour gaming as well.

As for user testing I think it will be interesting and we are all involved as we are doing quite a bit I think.

@Craig - I may find it a bit hard to let go with the drawing too as I'm not a good artist really.

As the for iPod/MP3 player somebody looking at me and then at my iPod may think "do you share that thing?" as there is quite a variety on it. (although mainly marvel...)

Marc Pugh said...

I am looking forward to this next assignment. I am quite grieved by the poor performance I did when the Design Mechanics came in. I am looking forward to proving to myself I can do better.

As for the artistic part, most of my drawings are copies of other drawings. Never from my head really although I am looking forward at giving it a go.

Ben Waller said...

For the iMe assignment I felt that it was quite difficult to state a hero from the design industry too. I ended up stating Dan Cederholm because I was reading his CSS book at the time which I found helpful. I enjoyed having to write one of the entries in 100 words as you had to carefully choose what to write. It was quite difficult to get all your points across but meant that entries were much more concise.

Anonymous said...

#3. Each journal entry to have a meaningful title.

Chris Towell said...

@Ben - I agree with you on iMe, to begin with I thought this might stunt the quality of the OLJ posts but I have actually enjoyed doing them.

@Marc - Every artist/designer has to start somewhere so trying to recreate someones design is a handy way to learn. (although I am not saying it is ok to pass it off as your own for copyright issues obviously). Still it is a good way to learn software etc.

@Steve - I apologise I had no idea I'd missed the title off sorry.

Craig Burgess said...

Is your: "The Story Continues - End of Part 3" the meaningful title? I'm not sure it's very meaningful.

Although this is a subjective guideline to meet, do you personally think that "The Story Continues" tells you anything at all about the content to follow? If was to look at that I wouldn't have a clue.

I had difficulty with this guideline too at first, and I bet you're thinking the exact same thing that I thought; "But the titles will be boring now"

I realised eventually that it's not about what you think is boring. It's about being helpful to your user. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Phew, ranted a bit more than I thought I would there. Please don't take it as a personal attack, I'm just telling you how I see 14.1.

Chris Towell said...

@Craig - I think it is fine as the story of my Interactive Media experience continues.

As for meaningful do you not think that some other people have meaningless titles? Not mention any names but he has a lot of sheep...

In comparison I think mine is okay.

Scott Dunwoodie said...

I have to agree with Craig, the title you have used has a certain amount of ambiguity attached to it.

If the "story" had the same subject matter each entry then it would be o.k. to use it.

I think you can have a "playful" title but it should relate more to the journal entry.

Craig Burgess said...

But where does it say that the story of your interactive media is continuing? From here, all I can see is The Story Continues.

What part of the story are we up to? What should I expect to read in this part of the story?

There's a reason books have meaningful chapter names.

Chris Towell said...

@Craig & Scott - If you take into consideration the main title of the OLJ and the tag line underneath then this is the story.

As for most books they normal have "Chapter 2" or 2 at the top of them so is that a meaningful title?